[nabs-l] CanI dance if I want to?

Kirt Manwaring kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Tue May 14 00:39:09 UTC 2013

Hey folks,
  I think gender only should matter if you want it to; otherwise it
shouldn't.  That was the most terribly worded thing I've written since
my last paper, but you get my point, yeah?
  And I think that Darian's question about what to do if you choose
not to drink is complicated, because all of us have different ways of
getting relaxed and loosened up.  I say find whatever works for you,
whether it be meditation or exercise or alcohol or extreme amounts of
cafeen or some bizarre combination of some or all of the above and
just go with it.  I think not taking yourself too seriously is
probably the key, especially if you aren't all that great at dancing
but want to have a fun time with it anyhow, and that probably means
finding your "happy place", or centering yourself, or however you want
to put it.
  Of course blind people can be fantastic dancers; if you want to
learn how to really be good at it, more power to you.  I'd say being
comfortable with whoever ends up teaching you is key, so finding a
friend is probably a good place to start.
  Now, on a somewhat related note, I actually am curious about what
those of you who prefer navigating with your canes do with them while
you dance?  I used to rely mostly on sighted guide and put my folding
cane in a corner somewhere but, now that I use a straight cane, and
don't use sighted guide nearly as much as I have in the past, I'm
wondering if anybody has any good strategies for navigating with
astraight cane when I want to but quickly finding a place for it when
I want to dance with somebody?  I'm thinking this isn't very
practical, so I'll probably get a telescopic cane for situations like
this so I can keep my cane with me and keep both of my hands free for
dancing.  How do you guys handle this one?
  Best,
Kirt