[nabs-l] CanI dance if I want to?

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue May 14 01:38:27 UTC 2013

I believe there are some  from telescoping canes. I can't tell you where I believe I last saw one, but pretty sure I have.
 I have a holster  for my cane that I keep on my backpack in case my straight cane  breaks (some might laugh, but you know it happens sometimes).

On May 13, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Kirt Manwaring <kirt.crazydude at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> an option.
>  Best,
> Kirt
>
> On 5/13/13, Arielle Silverman <arielle71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I was fortunate to grow up among many Jewish kids who all had bar and
>> bat mitzvahs, (Jewish celebrations of coming-of-age that happen at age
>> 12 or 13) and most had dance parties for their bar and bat mitzvahs,
>> so I became comfortable with dancing and potentially looking stupid at
>> quite a young age. :) I'm sure some people taught me how to dance,
>> though I can't remember who and honestly, by now I've forgotten most
>> of my formal instruction. I do remember being told that dancing is
>> mainly about having fun and just moving your body to the beat of the
>> music. I'm sure I don't dance perfectly but I've always had fun and
>> nobody has ever criticized my dancing or not wanted to be with me on
>> the dance floor because of my dancing. So I don't think you need to
>> worry too much about how you appear to others. If the group is doing a
>> line dance like the YMCA, and you don't know the moves for that
>> particular dance, there's no problem with sitting it out or just
>> moving off the dance floor to talk to people, or go get a drink or
>> snack or whatever, during that song. If you want to learn some things,
>> you could ask a friend or family member who has lots of dancing
>> experience to teach you or just to watch your moves and tell you
>> what's good and what you could change or improve on. Also, slow
>> dancing is easy for girls who are just supposed to follow the man, but
>> if you're a guy and want to learn how to slow-dance with women you may
>> want to get a little bit of formal instruction.
>> One thing I haven't quite figured out yet is where to put my cane
>> while dancing. When I was younger I would just go with a sighted
>> friend and stash my cane at a table while my friend and I danced. Now
>> I'm less comfortable being with the same person all night and I'd like
>> to be able to keep track of my cane myself without having it on the
>> dance floor with me. If I go to a dancing event I usually am not
>> wearing clothes that allow for storage of a telescoping cane, unless I
>> bring a purse and keep it on me while dancing, which I suppose is an
>> option. I'm curious if others have found good ways to manage this
>> issue. The best solution I've used is to find a sound landmark of some
>> sort like the bar or music stand and put my cane in a corner near that
>> spot. But this doesn't work as well in large venues.
>> Arielle
>>
>> On 5/12/13, justin williams <justin.williams2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Get a guy then; it's cool.  That works.  Longg as he can dance a little,
>>> and
>>> is a good teacher.  Tell him to move you your body for you at first so
>>> you
>>> can get the movement.  In japah, that is how the black belts teach the
>>> belts.  That is how my instructor instructs me.  Also, if you don't