[nabs-l] Captia Advocacy Question

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 01:00:35 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I am curious to know your thoughts on this issue and what you have
done in similar situations. This fall I will be doing some serious job
hunting and am looking at university professor positions. My advisor
and others suggested I search for job openings on the Chronicle of
Higher Education's website. I went onto their site and was thrilled to
see that they allowed job-seekers to set up an account and receive
customized job alerts by email. The catch is that creating an account
requires completing a Captia and the audio Captia they offer is
extremely hard to understand. I can usually get it after three or four
tries, but this one was impossibly difficult. After several attempts I
sent an email to their support address explaining my situation and
that the audio Captia was inadequate. I requested they create an
account for me and that they may want to change their Captia and
replace it with math problems or at least spoken words (this one was
numbers). It has been a week and I have not heard a word from them. I
could just get my fiancée to help me, or play around with WebVism, but
I am genuinely concerned that other blind job-seekers might not have
these options and might be deterred from getting this important job
information. I am curious if you guys think I should take this
complaint further and, if so, who should I contact? Have any of you
tried to get inaccessible Captias fixed? Have you succeeded?

Thanks,
Arielle