[nabs-l] offensive questions

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 23:36:29 UTC 2013

Miso, I agree.  I will admit when I was younger and less secure with
myself I was self-conscious about those questions because to me it
signified that I was different, but I've found that no one will learn
anything from us if we're too scared or insecure to teach them about
us.  And that's the best thing of all, when someone learns that we can
do things like march in band, use facebook, and other stuff just in
different ways.  Then sight vs blindness isn't that big of an issue
because they have a better understanding of it.  And most of the time
when someone you're close to like a friend or a date asks a question
like that they really don't mean to be offensive anyway.  Usually
they're just curious so it's important to remember that too instead of
being quick to assume that there was something underhanded in asking
how a notetaker works or what it's like to use a cane.

Kaiti