[nabs-l] offensive questions

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 13:55:07 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have been lucky to avoid some of these things in personal
experience, but I've heard of plenty of them.  Two stories that really
show just how far some people will go are this.  A few friends of mine
were out to eat.  They're capable, competent blind teenagers who were
just going about their business eating their meal.  When they stood up
to lead the two mothers who were with them and who had driven the
group to the restaurant started sighted guiding two of the teens.  On
their way out the door this random woman came up to one of the moms
and started saying, "Angel... angel..." over and over because the
woman thought she was so great for sheparding the blind people around.
 She just kind of ignored it and went on her way, and her son and I
had a good laugh when he told me about it later.  Another story
happened to two guys I knew who were trying to catch their flight.
They were in the airport making their way towards their gate, and this
random stranger would not leave them alone.  He wanted to help them
with their luggage, lead them to their gate, and do all sorts of stuff
for them.  Finally they had enough and stopped, and the one man
abandoned all nicities and told the guy they would not move any
further until he left them alone.  It worked and again my friends and
I laughed about it when they told us the story, but it just shows the
ridiculous lengths people will go to when they see the blind as
helpless.  In both cases the people didn't consider that the people
involved were not incompetent.  They had no idea that in some
instances, like in a restaurant where there are people, chairs,
tables, and other things everywhere, it's just simpler to do sighted
guide even if you're a great cane traveler.  The guy at the airport
also failed to consider that these two guys were experienced plane
travelers and obviously knew the airport well enough if they were
ignoring him and still headed towards their gate, because he couldn't
imagine a couple of blind guys making their flight safely on their
own.

My point is that there are nuts everywhere, and like other people with
disabilities we're not the only ones who have to deal with them.  It's
just as infuriating to someone in a wheelchair when someone constantly
wants to push them even if they have a joy stick or can do it
themselves, or since someone is standing over them they talk down to
the person as if they're younger or smaller.  I agree that common
sense isn't very common any more, but when you consider that you have
blind and sighted friends who do get it and understand you, those
crazy, over-the-top people don't seem worth worrying about to me.

As Dave said, the philosophy call hit it on the head.  What I took
away from Anil Lewis and Pam Allen's takes on this is that we
shouldn't deny ourselves the amazing label when we really do something
amazing, and when we're recognized for something that really isn't a
big deal all we can do is try to explain the ways in which we do what
everyone else does.  E.G. If you win a scholarship to study abroad
that is amazing because it's an honor and an opportunity to experience
something new, but (like Miso I had this happen) marching in a high
school marching band using non-visual techniques is just an adapted
way of doing the norm, same as cooking, cleaning one's house, or doing
day-to-day tasks without sighted help.

Kaiti