[nabs-l] offensive questions

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 02:11:54 UTC 2013

When I was still in public school, I believe it was in eighth grade,
my English teacher wanted us all to come in as disabled students for a
day. Most kids either shoved earplugs in their ears to simulate
deafness, or had to write on paper all day to simulate muteness. It
was sickening, and I usually am not bothered by things like that. It
was just such a crude representation that it made it completely
unrealistic. When I asked if I could come in as myself, I was told,
very sternly, that that would be unacceptable. So I just shoved
earplugs in my ears like everyone else. Then, when we had to write a
paper about our experiences, I told that teacher how I really felt,
and failed the project.