[nabs-l] Those Amazing Inspiring Blind People

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed May 29 21:03:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,

This is definitely an interesting discussion. Like the rest of you, I
am often told I am amazing for accomplishing simple tasks. Most people
do not understand that I don't perceive their comments as
complimentary; they are only responding to their low expectations of
my abilities. Unfortunately, education is not always possible or
successful. Consequently, I find it difficult at times to determine
whether a compliment is truely desserved.

I don't believe that we are particularly amazing or resilient.
Certainly, we encounter many challenges; from low expectations on a
daily basis, facing the difficulties of obtain textbooks, etc.
However, we are merely accomplishing what we need to succeed.

Just some thoughts,
Danielle

On 5/29/13, Katie Wang <bunnykatie6 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> while he was doing tures in Iraq, and finally, she described a girl
>> who came from a poor village in Africa to receive her education.  I
>> felt aweful.  Yes, I received honors and did the rare double major
>> with a music major, but do I deserve to be compared to those people
>> who faced such real hardships?  I don't think so.  Like Arielle, I've
>> lived a priviledged life.  All of my needs and some of my wants were
>> given to me.
>>
>> Then I started to think about it some more.  I thought about resilence
>> as a blind person.  I don't think resilience is exactly what most
>> sighted people would expect.  For them, it's simple; we have to
>> overcome our blindness.  Not being able to see must be terrible, and
>> the fact that we have overcome something that they think
>> insurmountable makes us amazing.  But it's so much more than that.  I
>> think we do, as blind people, have to be resilient.  We face
>> discrimination, deal with people who think we need help, receive
>> questions that insult us, and, let's face it, people stare at us a
>> lot.  Some of these things are less bothersome than others, but it all
>> amounts to the same thing.  Dealing with these things makes us
>> resilient in a way.  I do not think this means that we are amazing,
>> but I do think that it gives us a different outlook on life.  Facing
>> the misconceptions of others causes to be resilient.
>>
>> Just some random thoughts I had...  What an interesting discussion!
>>
>> On 5/27/13, justin <justin.williams2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I don't always know how to respond either; it does looks amazing when
>>> someone is operating in an alternative way. Even I will admit that
>>> anytime
>>> someone uses a different set of abilities, or a skill set which is
>>> unfamiliar to me, I consider them a little beyond ordinary in that
>>> particular context, but rarely do I think they are amazing.  While
>>> educating
>>> people and opening their minds is nice; that is something that everyone
>>> in
>>> their own way ought to do, it is degrading for a sighted person to
>>> assume
>>> that all the skills in life I have acquired are "amazing for a blind
>>> man."
>>> At thirty-four, I have been subjected to a variety of "inspiring moments
>>> so
>>> to speak.  Some of them I play along with, and some of them I don't.
>>> After
>>> a while I have learn to sometimes indulge the person to see where it
>>> goes,
>>> and sometimes I don't.  Sometimes I use them as entertainment.  Other
>>> times
>>> I cut it off immediately.   Usually, I thank them, or make a joke.  It
>>> is
>>> good to liven those times up with humor to bring things down to a human
>>> level.  And then there are those times when I say absolutely nothing.

>>> Best,