[nabs-l] Those Amazing Inspiring Blind People

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Thu May 30 15:04:28 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I received an email a few days before the ceremony saying that the
president wanted to identify some of the honors students in her
speech.  I sincerely thought that was the end of it, and I said yes
because I knew my parents would be happy.

I agree with you Arielle.  Resilience isn't a personality trait we
possess.  We choose to be resilient--and this applies to sighted
people as well.  The difference in our case is that it seems more
obvious.  I think we display this form of resilience when we choose to
answer random questions from strangers when we would rather be minding
our own business.  It is educating.  I don't think that this makes us
special or amazing though.  Most of us are used to educating people
and dealing with their ignorance.  It's just something we do.

I am torn about the idea that blind people have to work twice as hard.
 I'm not denying that it is true, but do we really want our blind
children thinking that they need to work twice as hard to get anything
accomplished?  Maybe the answer is yes.  But I'm not convinced.

life."
John 3:16