[nabs-l] StatisticalPackage for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 02:47:35 UTC 2013

Hi Minh and Emily,

While I'm definitely not one who would take stats unless I absolutely had to, I've done some research on the accessibility of SPSS for some friends.  As far as I know, SPSS has yet to become even remotely accessible with JAWS or any other screen reader.  I know that it presents a lot of difficulties to a lot of blind and visually impaired people who either use it on the job or in school.  There are some other alternatives which are not nearly as good or as reputable as SPSS (because let's face it, sometimes these programs are used more for their reputation than for their actual productivity and feasibility), but they might be better alternatives for you if your professor is looking for something more "involved" than Excell.  It is important that your professor understands that you really cannot use SPSS and that he or she be willing to allow you to use an alternative software which would allow you to do the same work and with the same level of expectations as all of the other students.  If you like, I can do some further research on software that would work for you and we can talk further off-list.  In the mean time, I think Emily's Excell solution is probably your best bet.  If you're having difficulties with your professor, see if you can't persuade your school's disability services people to help you.  I hope this is helpful.

Take Care,
Ryan