[nabs-l] Finding members for group projects

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 1 02:32:17 UTC 2013

Suzanne,

Group projects are tough! I don't know if you were on list when I wrote a
similar concern and question.
I was in a family sociology class as an elective.
I felt like many students knew each other and had kliques; we had to get
into groups of like four plus people.
I did not find a group; I used the talking method; I asked those around my
desk; class was set up in rows of desks. But all had groups already. A few
students said I could have joined but their group was full; based on the
tone of voice and fact I had worked with them before on group discussions, I
knew they meant it.

Anyway, the professor was notified of the situation and I found a group to
work with.
Like you, I'm older, although not 40, and took class seriously and wanted As
or Bs.

I'm afraid you'll have to take your chances. I'd suggest though that telling
the professor what you are responsible for and do your part only.
I would not do work for other students. If it’s a bad grade, talk to the
professor, explain the issues, and ask for extra credit or something.

As for finding groups, talk to the individual around you. If that doesn't
work, talk to people as they leave class.
I'm sure other students don't know each other especially since you said
there is little interaction among students.
To find out who is in class, listen for familiar voices. You could also ask
the professor for
a roster of students. I'm assuming your class uses a online platform.
like blackboard. I can only speak to blackboard as I used that for classes.
Its not the most accessible, but in blackboard, you can email the class.
Its not too accessible with jaws since combo boxes to select names is
unlabeled and it does not open automatically as you down arrow; you have to
press the open combo box command to open it.
I think you're a magnification user so this may not be as problematic.
Anyway, you could try emailing the class to see who wanted to join your
group.

Good luck.
Ashley

If you still