[nabs-l] Reading Access Project: Share your college reading access experiences

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 01:08:18 UTC 2013

The following is a message from Haben Girma, a lawyer for Disability
Rights Advocates about a project you can help with.

I want to let students know about a Reading Access Project that
Disability Rights Advocates (“DRA”) has recently started to help
students with print disabilities – such as vision, physical,
developmental, or learning disabilities – get access to print
materials, such as textbooks, course readers, and library research
materials.

DRA has started the Reading Access Project in light of a recent
settlement agreement with UC Berkeley regarding access to print
materials. This settlement with UC Berkeley will significantly improve
information access for students with print disabilities by putting in
place a range of new policies and procedures to ensure that students
have access to all of the written materials they need to read in order
to be successful in a university setting.

Because we know that students with print disabilities are struggling
nationwide to get basic access to course and library materials, we are
interested in talking with students about barriers they have
experienced at institutions of higher education. By listening to the
stories of students, we hope to help bring colleges and universities
into compliance with disability rights laws that govern access to
print materials.

Please share our message with students and invite them to share their
stories with us. My contact information is included below. Information
we receive will be kept confidential. If you have any questions about
DRA or the Reading Access Project, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Haben Girma
Skadden Fellowship Attorney
Disability Rights Advocates
2001 Center Street, Fourth Floor
Berkeley, California 94704-1204
 www.dralegal.org

hgirma at dralegal.org
510 665 8644 ext. 156 (Tel)
510 665 8716 (TTY)
510 665 8511 (Fax)

--
Cindy Bennett
Secretary: National Association of Blind Students

B.A. Psychology, UNC Wilmington
clb5590 at gmail.com