[nabs-l] Animal observation and experiment for biology class

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:26:19 UTC 2013

Hello Suzanne,

I am not sure if each college or university uses the clicker questions in
the same manner, but I can describe how I have been able to use them while
attending a community college.

The professor who uses the clicker questions only uses them for review
questions and poll questions. Therefore, if a student is not able to
participate, or does not wish to participate, it does not effect their
grade.

In the past, the professor handed out the clickers during class. They were
not all that complicated as they had a layout similar to a telephone keypad.
However, this semester students can use either a cell phone to text the
answer, or log into the survey website with their laptop computers.

In either case, the professor reads both the question and the answers aloud
so I can follow along with what the rest of the class is doing. When the
professor used the clickers, all I had to do was press the button that
corresponded with the answer while pointing it in the direction of my
professor.

I do not know if every school uses the clickers in this same manner, but
this is how I was able to deal with the situation. Alternative methods may
be to ask a student sitting next to you to read the question and the
answers, or perhaps a reader from the disabilities office if they provide
such a service.

Even though I have had usable vision for most of my life, I have found
non-visual techniques to be the most effective and efficient for me. Perhaps
you may wish to give some of them a try.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth