[nabs-l] NFB and conservatism/liberalism

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 03:21:03 UTC 2014

Ryan, that was a great post and I pretty much agree with
everything. I do believe that some things the NFB deals with are
genuine civil rights issues, such as the subminimum wage issue
(it's slave labor no matter what.) But if there's an inaccessible
website, I'm not gonna flip out about it. I don't have time for
that. We all have our lives to live that are separate from
blindness or the NFB. I've seen people who live for the
organization, who've memorized all the speeches and the history.
I enjoy being a part of the NFB, but it's not my life. I just
work around things like inaccessability by either using another
website or getting a reader to help me out. Unless it's a MAJOR,
and I mean EPICALLY MAJOR, issue, fighting and suing is not the
answer. Self-advocacy is. And I'm talking about the kind of
advocacy where you politely approach the offending person/group
and hold a civil conversation with them where you calmly and
eloquently state your problem, using logic instead of threats or
belligerence. These are just my thoughts, and I look forward to
more of this discussion.

Yours sincerely,
Sophie