[nabs-l] living skills, unsupportive family and negative words

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:02:53 UTC 2014

Hello Ashley,

I am not quite sure why you are so opposed to attending an NFB training center. For someone who may have an unstable eye condition such as RP, I believe the sleep shade training is a valuable tool for gaining confidence in skills of blindness. I have actually been wanting to attendan NFB training center myself, but dealing with other health issues has prevented me from doing so.

To be completely honest with you, I find most of your posts to be rather negative. It seems to me like you spend a lot of time complaining about things the rest of us deal with in the real world on a daily basis. Not all of us are born into your upper middle class society where your family can afford to pay for your college and the technology you need to succeed. There are many of us who live on a lot less, and  do not repeatedly complain about it on a public email list.

If you are over the age of eighteen, which I believe you are, then I believe you are free to make your own choices. However, if you still live with your parents, and they are the ones who paid for the house, then it is only right of you to respect their rules while living in their house. if this living arrangement does not work well for you, then I believe you are free to find some other kind of living arrangement that would work better for you. If you believe you do not have either the skills or confidence to live on your own, then perhaps receiving more training in the skills of blindness would be best for you.

Please forgive me if you feel as though I am being harsh here. However, I have seen you post countless emails asking us for advice, but it seems as though you are never willing to take any of the advice we offer you. It seems as though there is always some kind of reason why our advice would not work for your particular situation, and yet, you keep coming back to us asking us for more advice.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. From my point of view, this seems to be what you are doing every time you ask us for advice on your personal situation, but then choose not to follow it. it seems to me that you either need to make a decision to do something new, or stop your complaining. I honestly do not believe this email list should be a place for you to vent every time you experience a problem in your personal life.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth