[nabs-l] living skills, unsupportive family and negative words

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 24 20:04:00 UTC 2014

Melissa,
Right. my mom is protective alright. I
think this is part of her negativity. She never remembers the various good
things I do but every time something goes wrong like if I spill something
like jelly when I was spreading it on a sandwich, she will comment, oh, how
can you live on your own, you always make messes.
Well, this is a very exaggeration and what about the hundreds of times I
make a sandwich  and nothing happens. Its rediculous.

Its just hard to be an adult and hear I fail to try stuff when really I
cannot do it without the knowledge. I do what I can myself now though.
It seems like she should try to help me with independence if she supported
it; sure she has no adaptive training but she could show me hand over hand.
my dad shows me things a lot and I help him with the dishes sometimes.
He and I have made a few things together like salad and breakfast food, but
he's no cook. if he can do it, it seems like mom could if she wanted to.

Yes I cannot change her. I guess I need to remember that and just move
forward with out her support. If I opt to attend training, and she is still
negative, I'll somehow move out; maybe find a cheap room; I won't be able to
afford an apartment without a job, but maybe a room or something where I
share a place.
Something has to change.

Thanks for the advice.
Ashley