[nabs-l] Facilitation tips

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 05:39:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am in a student organization called FACES, which promotes and
fosters healthy dialogue on my campus regarding issues of race and
privilege. Recently, we began hosting book groups for students to read
books on subjects of race and I am acting as a facilitator along with
one other member. Anyway, the first meeting was tonight and I found it
extremely hard to capture the attention of the students in my group.
When they had something to say, they would either raise their hand or
make eye contact with my co-facilitator for him to give them the ok to
talk. It was super frustrating for me because I felt like I wasn't
helping leading the discussion at all, instead just acting as a
participant. Have you guys lead discussions of this nature before and
what tips did you use to help you be a better facilitator? Any

Cheers,
Minh

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on
their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." T. E. Lawrence