[nabs-l] Questions to Ask

Shickeytha Chandler shickeytha at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:51:48 UTC 2014

Hi Zach,

One thing I would recommend is start off by doing as much research as
you can independently. By this I mean read everything available online
about the program you are interested in, including but not limited to
course descriptions, syllabi from previous semesters, etc. Then try to
think about any accommodations you might need or problems that might
arise in those specific classes and try to think of ways to work
around those difficulties if they occur. In your discussions with the
disability offices, you might bring up specific scenarios and see what
their ideas would be for providing accommodations. If you have a State
Vocational Rehabilitation counselor, you can also talk with him/her
about what specific things that Agency can provide for you while in
graduate school.

I don't know much about genetics, but I get the impression that your
program will be very science-intensive with lots of classes in
biology, chemistry and the like. That is the area of study that I am
least interested in and least skilled at, so I really do not have much
to offer you in terms of advice, but I do know that the science
classes I was required to take in undergrad were difficult for me with
lots of visuals. So it might be a good idea to see if the disability
office has a way of providing you with access to visual illustrations,
presentations, etc. so that you can benefit from them as much as your
peers.

Best of luck!

Shickeytha