[nabs-l] Public Speaking

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 01:23:59 UTC 2014

Alleha made some excellent points regarding gestures and movement. I'll add
a few more:

1. If your presentation can be divided into distinct segments, use those
transitions to move to a different part of your stage area. This will be as
much of a visual cue as a good reminder to move without wandering.

2. Rehearse those hand gestures that can emphasize points, but do not
concentrate so hard on gestures that they wind up looking robotic. For the
longest time my speech and debate coaches would try to get me to use
gestures to highlight key points in my presentations, but remember hand
gestures are supposed to come naturally. The only real way to practice
gestures is to make them a part of everyday conversation.

3. I now lead several classes at church. I memorize people's names to call
on them using a Socratic method. It keeps the audience engaged, alert, and
helps establish a stronger connection. If you're presenting to a group of
strangers, assuming you're not in a competition setting, don't be afraid to
ask the person to tell you their name after they've given you a comment as a
means to try to get to know them and maybe call on them again later in your
presentation.

4. The idea that it is okay to read your speech verbatim is rarely true.
Among those speeches I hated most at NFB seminars and conventions were those
speeches that were clearly read word for word. It's almost as frustrating as
people who read every word on their PowerPoint slide. I say, "rarely,"
because there are of course exceptions, but short of banquet keynotes and
presidential reports, always use an outline or another means of leaving
enough room to generate your own commentary or impromptu thoughts. Even
annual report-type presentations I feel should be a little looser to keep
people more interested.

5. Record yourself delivering the presentation beforehand. We are our own
worse enemy, but at least you have a rough and realistic sense of how you
might come across to your audience.

Best of luck to you,

Joe

--