[nabs-l] Online classes

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 19:48:14 UTC 2014

Hi Michaela,

Ashley does make some very good points.  While I have generally had
very positive experiences with hybrid and totally online courses, I
would never sign up for one in math or science subjects.  All the
courses I've used online platforms with have been in fields like
communications, psychology, etc.

Course management sites will varry in accessibility.  I've heard some
blackboard users say it's really inaccessible, while others say it is
very jaws-friendly.  I know my school has an E-learning department of
IT, which is responsible for fixing accessibility issues, so I don't
think it depends on the platform you're using so much as it does the
level of commitment your school has to making learning materials
accessible. My college uses a version of Sakai, and although I have
run into bugs, I've been able to work with the E-learning department
to have them all fixed.  They actually have hired me to beta test
changes they make, and so it has turned out to be a very positive
partnership.

I would start by asking questions of the people in the disabilities
office.  They can give you a run don of how committed the school is to
accessibility.  Are there people in IT who are assigned to
troubleshoot these kinds of problems?  Would they be willing to work
with you to make sure assignments are accessible?  Are they available
to answer questions your professors might have?  Etc.  Hope this
helps.

On 3/21/14, Ashley Bramlett <bookwormahb at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Mikayla,
>
> Online experiences will vary. However, from what I've seen on this list, we
>
> tend to run into accessibility challenges.
> I took an online course in editting; also a hybrid class where half is
> online and half in class.
>
> My school uses blackboard. I found blackboard is not fully accessible.  I
> cannot submit assignments online. Also, when reading quizzes or tests, when
>
> you press r for radio button, jaws reads the whole question, not just your
> choice of answer.
>
> In short, it also depends on your learning style. me, I really prefer the
> class discussions and interaction I have in class.
> I would recommend sticking with in class courses if possible. Do not take
> visual classes online like math and science; you need the professor's help
> and will likely not get the 1:1 help you need online.
>
> I bvelieve the other learning platform, Desire to learn, is more screen
> reaeer friendly. So it depends on your online platform they use.
>
> You  should be able to add and drop classes first week. So, if your class is
>
> not very accessible, drop it Fast. Do not waste your time and money on an
> inaccessible course.
>
> Ashley

Kaiti