[nabs-l] problems with a spanish assignment

Lillie Pennington lilliepennington at fuse.net
Tue Mar 25 01:45:15 UTC 2014

Hi everyone

In my Spanish 3 class, we have listening homework that is due every two
weeks or so. The options are mostly very tedious or inaccessible. I was
doing online textbook work with sited assistance for reading the screen
until my teacher stopped putting assignments on that site as an option. I
believe her reason for not doing this was because she did not have time, or
that is what she said for one chapter when they were not up there. I took
advantage of a new assignment that was available as an option. It was
watching a youtube video made by students in her class last year. The video
then had some comprehension questions on a timed quiz in Spanish which
someone would read to me.

However, the questions mainly had some visual concepts. Such as what item
was not in a persons suitcase. My mother had some issues seeing the video
picture and I was providing the best translations of the video that I could
in English.

It is difficult to rely on someones descriptions of something that I can not
see. I had 15 seconds left on the quiz by the time I was finished with it.

I do not know what to do. I am not sure if this is significant enough to
email my teacher about. I am not sure what I can really ask my teacher to
do. My TVI will be no help in this situation. Should I just take the grade
and suck it up? I am not asking to get out of the assignment. I am just
asking for questions that require the person to pay attention to the video.
For example, instead of what did Trevor pack in his suitcase, something like
where did the boys agree to meet at 7:00. Is this an appropriate request?

Thank you