[nabs-l] [Private] guardianship question

Arielle Silverman via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Sat May 31 20:13:38 UTC 2014

Yes. Online banking access is a must. I always keep track of how much
money I get each month and then subtract out what I know I will need
to spend on things like rent, utilities, groceries, Internet and cell
phone charges. Then the rest is an allowance I give myself to spend on
other things. I divide the allowance into four weekly portions and
every time I make a purchase, subtract the amount from what I have to
spend for the week. At the end of the month, any funds I have left
over get rolled into a savings account, and then if I need or want to
make a big purchase like a trip or buying a new piece of technology,
it gets funded out of the savings account. This system may seem a
little overly detailed, and it's less crucial for me now that I make
enough to not have to live month-to-month, but when I was on a lower
income this system was essential. If you use a credit card, it is even
more important to track your spending so that, ideally, your credit
card spending each month never exceeds your income plus savings.

Best,
Arielle