[nabs-l] is there any place for schools for the blind?

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 3 02:25:41 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,

While I agree with you and others about social skills and the
like, I personally don't think the first part of your message,
which states that kids who go to schools for the blind have
intellectual disabilities, is accurate.
I personally don't have any other disabilities besides blindness
and hearing loss.  I seriously doubt that I have any intellectual
disabilities, as I have no accommodations for my performance in
school, since I always get good grades and get on my school's
honor roll (no, I'm not bragging, it's true,) and there are lots
of other students who are on it as well.  I also discovered that
I am unlike most people in that I speak 3 languages.

And no, I did not go to a school for the blind because I have
other disabilities.
 If you take a look at my previous post, you'll see that I went
because I had so many problems in public middle school, you know,
with me being discriminated against and having problems with my
TVI.  Take a look at my previous message to learn more.
And, my parents don't have low expectations for me at all, on the
contrary, they want me to be the most successful in life.
This being said, one thing I didn't mention in my previous
comment is that when I first started elementary school, they had
to look into whether I should go to a school for the blind or a
regular public school, and they ultimately decided on the latter,
as they thought that if I went to a school for the blind, they
would focus more on the disability rather than me as a person,
rather than the opposite with a regular school.  Once I got to
the end of the sixth grade, however, and I faced the problems I
just mentioned, my parents needed to figure out what would be
appropriate for me to succeed as much as possible.  So they
decided on a school for the blind, and I think that when I
started at the school for the blind, they thought that they made
the right decision in sending me there, as I enjoyed it a lot.
Also, you talked a little bit about staying there over night.
These days, not everybody at the schools for the blind stay
overnight.  They can choose to either go home every day or stay
over night if they want, but it's totally up to the student, not
the school.  I personally go home every day and I'm glad I do,
because I can still be with my family during the week, like I
have always done.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say, and I hope I won't
be punished for disagreeing with you, you know, since you're the
moderator.

Have a good night.

Thanks,

Sami.