[nabs-l] is there any place for schools for the blind?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 03:41:11 UTC 2014

Hi Sami,
I'm sorry, I never meant to imply that you have an intellectual
disability. I was speaking in general about the schools I've visited
in Arizona and Colorado, and from what I have heard about other
states. But I don't know about every state school, and I definitely
know people with no other disabilities who attend schools for the
blind. I would submit that your TVI had low expectations, or was
incompetent, both of which are good reasons to attend the school.
My point was only that kids with both blindness and intellectual
disability might benefit more from special ed geared toward
intellectual disability than from a school for the blind. There is an
increasing number of kids growing up with at least one disability on
top of blindness. This presents challenges for TVI's and special
educators, but I don't think sending all of them to the blind schools
is the solution. We need to work on creating instruction that works
for these kids and bringing it into regular schools, just as we did
with blind-only instruction in the past.
Arielle