[nabs-l] dealing with parrents in a personal decision setting

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 03:38:13 UTC 2014

Hi all,

One of the things I asked my parents to do was to give me a chance.
Granted, my family didn't have as much of a choice because I'm in a
major that is only offered at specific colleges, but my mom especially
was really scared.  She'd also use the college thing as a
privilledge---which it is, but she'd say, "If you don't do this I
won't let you go to UD.  I'll only be out the $400 deposit.

My first semester had her really nervous.  She got mad at me for
walking home at night (Sorry mom, it's a thing called class that
starts at 7:30), and she'd also get super nervous when she saw that
the weather in my school city was bad.  She tried to give me a TV
several times because she was concerned about my ability to check the
weather, even though I promised her that I use the internet and
wouldn't have time to watch TV anyway, besides at home I don't even
watch TV that much.  She was also worried that the school would give
me trouble.  After the first semester she eased up, and especially
after the first year she calmed down.  I think some of the issues were
related to my blindness, but it was mainly because I'm her oldest kid
going off to school.  I think that college is just as much of a
transition for the parents as it is for you, especially if you're the
first kid to go, so just try to keep that in mind.  On the other hand
though, stand up for what you want.  Ultimately, it's your future and
your degree you're after, and if you like a particular school or a
specific program for your major, then you should definitely go for it.

Hope this helps.

On 11/13/14, Shikha via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this topic up because i am dealing with the same
> situation.  I am currently attending a comunity college and i commute from
> home. There are no busses in my area so my parents drop me up and pick me up
> to my college.
> Luckily i only have class on Monday and Wednesday, but even though i
> graduated from the Louisiana  center for the blind i do not think they
> believe in my independent  skills.  I always have to prove my self to them
> because i am the only blind person in my family.
> I am going to transfer to Georgia State in August of 2015 and my parents
> also do not want me to live on campus.  They told me that i will be
> struggling a lot.
>
> Shikha.
>
>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 4:50 PM, Jorge Paez via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nabs:
>> So, I was wondering something.
>> So, I've come to a decision on which I'm going to choose something
>> that my parents aren't comfortable with.
>> This applies on several personal fronts, but the one relevant to this
>> list is my desire to go away from home for college.
>> How do you deal with your parents in this topic?
>> Because I know I can do it, and my parents generally know as well, but
>> feel extremely uncomfortable.
>> I'm their only blind son--I'm actually the only one who's blind in all
>> my family, so I don't know if their uncomfortable because of usual
>> non-sight related stuff or specificallybecause of my blindness.
>> Either way, how do you deal with this?
>> I've made up my mind, so its not a point of choosing, as much as
>> telling them my choice and making them feel like they've at least had
>> a chance to talk to me, and that they understand, not necessarily
>> agree with, my decision.
>> Basically, I want to make sure this doesn't end up with anyone feeling
>> like theey were left out of the conversation.
>> If you have any suggestions feel free to write me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jorge

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/desai1shikha%40gmail.com

Kaiti