[nabs-l] I'm looking for a book

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 00:03:30 UTC 2015

Hi all, I've used statistics texts in both E-text and recorded audio
from Learning Ally. When I used E-text I had a reader help me with the
few things that weren't accessible. A little secret: There are a lot
of graphs and tables in the print book, but most are not actually
necessary to read. The few tables that are actually necessary, like
the table of critical values, can be found online. This is coming from
someone who has taken five stats courses and also prefers Braille.
What I'd suggest is to focus on the text part, and then if you have
any trouble following a specific concept, talk with your professor or
a TA to help improve your understanding of the content in that
particular area. If you use recorded audio, they will describe
everything. The trick I used then was to take notes while listening to
the recorded text, using my Braille Note, so I could retain the info.
I've found the best way to learn statistics is to do the homework
problems. This is more important than carefully reading the text. In
fact, in my graduate course where I only had an inaccessible PDF copy
of the text, I stopped bothering with the text altogether after the
first chapter, and just focused on the spoken lectures and the
homework. My husband, who is sighted and was also in that class with
me, didn't read the book either. And we both got A's. So I'd suggest
checking the homework problems to see if you can read the formulas in
them, and if you can't, invest in a reader or see if you can get a
cleaner copy or an audio copy from Learning Ally. Or you could try
asking your professor or TA to simply type up the homework for you.
But don't worry so much about the details in the chapters. This is
just what has worked for me. Good luck!
Arielle