[nabs-l] A Suggestion For The Nabs Guidelines

Jen jenandnixon at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:12:26 UTC 2015

Good morning,

 I've been a member for quite some time now but haven't posted but read a
fair bit. I am a fairly busy woman, so dn't always get a moment to write but
enjoy all the great posts, and saw this and had to put in my two cents
worth.

I was once a student, graduating back in 2008 with an Applied Business
Technology certification alongside my adult Dogwood diploma (adult high
school graduation). I currently haven't been successful in my area in
searching for a job in my area of study; however, have been running my own
small business plus volunteering for two non-profits; Canadian Cancer
Society and mainly at the Canadian Red Cross Society. I recently changed
departments with RC to go into disaster management, where I've been bitten
with the "bug". I'm in the research phase to find a suitable post-secondary
institution, mainly via on-line, for certification in Emergency / Diisaster
Management. I am potentially looking at the Fall of 2016 to go back to
school. With my volunteer experience at RC, my supervisor (and many others)
have questioned why I've not been hired within the organization with my vast
background. I live in a rural city in Northern BC at this time, living
independently with a guide dog. I am deafblind but very highly functioning
so do not fit into the mold within the disability, and have gone out of
regular "mold" so to speak, to find interest outside disability-related
positions, and here I am *grin*

I am quite active in other areas besides the volunteer work I do (especially
with DM I'm on call, plus, as a family joke, "You can never be late for
work." As I actually live beside my office! Previous to my switch I was
doing reception and then moved up to doing volunteer resources in the Health
Equipment Loan department covering a large territory. Due to changes in the
volunteer management model, my job had to change.

So the program I graduated with from college didn't necessarily help me in
the career path, but it helped in some aspects in the work I ended up doing
and have and soon to be doing. I am 33 years old and finally found the path
that should help lead to a career that I want to be in, especially
considering my supervisor's long-term plans she hints to me...

Off to start the day, have a meeting with my supervisor this morning prior
to her leaving for two weeks with me being on-call to deploy volunteers
during disasters while she is away, so she is putting everything into my
capable hands alongside the paid team member (who can only do it after work
hours) and awaiting to hear my sister's newborn (she's been in labor since
yesterday). I tend to hlead a fairly non-boring life including reading and
lurking and reading in most lists, especially dog, cat and pet-sitting
related email groups to stay on top of anything health and behavior related
to keep me educated for running my business, plus I run several fB groups
and email groups (mainly GDB-related).

So in an answer to this, no, I don't think this is a plausible rule as we
are all mature students and there are times, like myself, who graduate and
at times want to pursue other avenues and go back to school again at a later
date... that's putting a bit of a restriction and it is likes inviting to
mentor all age groups; high school to even seniors (my mother actually went
back to school when she was 60!). Just my own two cents worth, even from
someone who barely has time to write such a lengthy post! *grin*

Every one stay safe and have a wonderful day,

Jen and Aiken McEachen
Pampered Critters House and Pet Sitting Services
Email me to inquire about my services at: pamperedcritters at gmail.com
www.pamperedcritters.ca / http://www.facebook.com/pamperedcritters