[nabs-l] music databases and streaming music services

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 05:30:37 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Although I listen to a regular radio, I’m interested in other music services which I can access online. This might give me greater control over what I hear and when I hear it. Unfortunately though, most services seem either inaccessible or semi accessible to screen readers. Naxos music library and American song which is under the Alexander Street Press databases are not accessible. I don’t believe the streaming service spotify is real accessible. I have a pandora account now and that seemed semi accessible. I’m able to log in and find the search field to type in a station or song, but its difficult to change stations as the links do not show up as links to jaws.

So, I’m still searching.
What databases, either open source or subscription based, are accessible? If it’s a database with subscriber access, I could probably go to a nearby public university to hear it or use a public library if they have it. For instance, Dc public library has several Alexander street database subscriptions, but those don’t seem accessible. Also, Alexandria public library has freegal music database, but I don’t know if its usable yet; I’ll try it.

What online services are accessible and what is the cost, if any? Has Rapsody improved its access?

Thanks.

Ashley