[nabs-l] A Struggling Blind Student Looking for Some Advice

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 23:15:40 UTC 2016

Elizabeth,

First of all, NVDA can work with different voices.  Second of
all, you don't know if you can understand the default voice or
not unless you've worked with it a while to acclimatize yourself.
You could of course use another screen reader, but the other's
aren't Free like NVDA.  You might even be able to put Jaws on a
thumbdrive if you have a licence already, you'd have to check
with the manufacturer.

I'm not sure what you think you're going to do if you don't want
to learn Braille and you don't want to use technology.  Those are
the ways blind people have of being literate.  At some point, you
have to use one if you're going to go to school or work.  Maybe
there are other choices, but I don't know of them, and I assume
you don't either or you wouldn't be asking.  I don't know why
you're so hostile to Braille, but it's worth pointing out that
you don't have to use Braille as efficiently as a sighted person
uses print in order to organize your thoughts for an essay and
then be able to read it to your scribe instead of doing it all in
your head.  We're not talking about you reading Braille other
people have produced hear, so you could write in uncontracted
braille if you wanted and memorizing the contractions is part of
your problem.

Best,
Karl