[nabs-l] College Math questions

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:49:22 UTC 2016

Chelsea,
Great questions.
Please see answers below:
1.
> When using tactiles, how do you prefer them? Do you like every tactile printed, or a general one that just goes over concept. (I ask this because for me, I prefer one that goes over concept whereas someone else likes all of them.)

As you stated, different people like different things.  I guess it depends on the class but generally I personally would prefer just the minimum.  I would talk to the professor and go over what graphs, diagrams, charts, pictures, etc are essential for a student in the class to see.  Then I would get tactiles of those.  Getting every image in math or science would only be a gigantic pain in the butt for me!!  :)
However, since you are making a book for another student, it should be up to that student how they want things done.  I encourage lots of communication with that particular student.  This will ensure that the student will get what works best for him/her.

> 2. When a problem is graphing, whether it be on a number line or on a graph, do you prefer a reader, or do you prefer to do these on your own with tactile graphing paper? Are these the only options? If not, what other options are there that you like?

This, too, is a personal preference.  If it is a class like precalculus for example, I would suggest using tactile graphing paper, because the student ia learning the basics of graphing and the work is detailed.  However, in a class like organic chemistry for example, there are many graphs, but they do not need to each be precisely graphed by the student.  If the idea is understanding a general trend then I would suggest using a hot glue or puff paint or wiki-sticks with the student.  But again that would just be my preference.  In graphing trend lines, I would use something like excel to make my own graphs, but not to learn about the graph though.
Then of course sometimes if you don't really need to understand much detail about the graph, using a skilled reader is perfectly sufficient.  But I would think that if the student needs to do the graphing for a problem, using a reader is probably not the best option in that case.  Just my experience, and again I would encourage contacting the student.

> 3. Do you have any other tips/tricks/ideas that I can do to help this student as well as the rest of the team that is creating this textbook?

I guess not.  It would help to know what book or what class this is for.  And mainly. As I've said, the student should be dictating how they want all this handled, and it would serve that student well to be in contact with the professor in order to help understand what material is essential for learning the various concepts in the class.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks,

Anna E Givens