[nabs-l] Career: Academic

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:23:19 UTC 2016

Hi LeSholom,

I imagine this varies a great deal based on the country that you
would want to get your Ph.D. in.  I can't tell you much about
being a Ph.D. student because I'm not starting my Ph.D. until the
fall, but I will say that at least in the U.S. in most academic
fields it's better to skip the MA if you can and get straight
into a Ph.D. program because you will not be able to transfer
more than a semester or maybe two (if anything) of your MA
credits and because MA programs are usually unfunded while Ph.D.
programs are usually funded.  Generally what I've been told is
that admissions committees primarily care about the quality of
your writing sample and the quality of your letters of
recommendation with GPA and your GRE scores being secondary
factors--though many schools set cut off points and only look at
applications with GPA and GRE scores above a certain threshold.
In your case, your English proficiency test scores would also be
important.  Of course your letters of recommendation will mean
more if they're by well known scholars in your field, and if they
can say good things about you (the latter is harder in an online
program since your professors won't really get to know you in
person).  Committees are really trying to find out whether you
will be able to do well in their program and do research that
will look good for the school, so any evidence that you have of
conducting good research (things like publishing articles or
presenting at conferences are good here) or any evidence that you
have that you can work hard and deal with the stress is
important.  I imagine you will get a lot more advice from people
more knowledgable than me on this list, but you might also try
the blind academics list.  I don't know the website off the top
of my head, but I can try to find it later.

HTH,
Karl