[nabs-l] Question about SSI

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Mon May 16 12:15:57 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm having a rather frustrating issue with Social Security here
in NY, who are providing me my SSI benefits.  A few weeks ago, I
received a letter in the mail from Social Security telling me
that I need to show up in person at their office because they
wanted to prove that I'm actually blind even though I provided
them with all the documentation and was approved almost six
months ago.  What bothers me is that as I said, they asked me to
show up in person at their office.  My mom thought that we could
just talk to them on the phone, and she called and spoke with
them (I couldn't because I'm at my blindness training center for
the week and only go home on weekends).  My mom said that she
even spoke with them two or three times.  The first time they
said that they would call me personally at home to set up the
appointment for showing up in person, but obviously I wouldn't
have been able to speak with them since I'm not home during the
week.  My mom gave them my cell phone number, but they haven't
called me that way either.  This is a very frustrating issue in
my opinion.  I have asked other friends of mine at the training
center that I'm at if they had to show up at their Social
Security office six months after they were approved for SSI
benefits, and they said no.  My mom thinks that it depends on the
state, and that the reason they do that is probably because they
want to make sure that you're not cheating in getting SSI (by the
way, the people at the training center that I'm at come from all
over the country).

So I'd like to know if you guys have gone through a similar
experience, and if so, have you had to show up in person at the
office or just talk with them on the phone?

Hope to hear from you soon, and for those of you who just
finished with college, I hope you're enjoying the end as your
semester!

Thanks,

Sami