[nabs-l] Announcing the 2017 NFB BELL Academy of North Carolina

Bobbi Pompey pompey2010 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 7 02:37:51 UTC 2017

Hello! I hope this message finds you in good health and high spirits! !

I am excited to inform you about the 2017 Braille Enrichment through
Learning and Literacy, or BELL) Academy of North Carolina!

The BELL Academy prepares blind and low vision children, ages four
through twelve, to grow into confident and independent blind people
who will live the lives they want. The program provides Braille and
non-visual skills instruction in the areas of cane travel, cooking,
independent living, assistive technology, and of course braille!
Children will also engage in braille crafts & games, socialize with
other blind children, interact with blind adults who serve as mentors,
and enjoy field trips. Through these activities and interactions, the
children learn that blindness or low vision does not define them or
their future.

Although the BELL Academy targets blind and low-vision children who do
not receive enough Braille and nonvisual skill instruction in school
or who could benefit from Braille enrichment over the summer, it is
also perfect for any low vision child you know (regardless of their
braille skill level or visual acuity).

This year, BELL Academy will be hosted in the capital city of Raleigh,
on the campus of the Governor Morehead School for the Blind! The
Academy will begin on Monday June 12th and conclude on Friday June
23rd.

Sign up the blind child, or children, you know and love today at:
https://nfb.org/bell-academy-faqs-affiliate/nc

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have via phone at
(336) 988-6375 or e-mail at bobbipompey at gmail.com. Also, if you or
someone you know wants to serve as a staff member at the BELL Academy,
please let me know!

Bobbi A. L. Pompey
Program Coordinator- BELL Academy of North Carolina
(336) 988-6375
bobbipompey at gmail.com

Bobbi A. L. Pompey
(336) 988-6375
bobbipompey at gmail.com

"Not everything faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced" James Baldwin