[nabs-l] Microscope Usage in Science Classes

Neel Sheth sheth.neel.s at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 15:19:44 UTC 2017

Hello Logan,
When it comes to microscopy, I’ve found that the best solution is to ask your university’s disability services office to hire a lab assistant with a scientific background, ideally, someone in the same major. For my general microbiology lab last semester, I had a lab assistant who had taken the same course the year before, so had plenty of practice using microscopes. During labs, I would take any additional notes on the procedure I’d think I needed, and use read through the procedure in the lab manual. The assistant would perform the stain with the exact instructions I gave him, even going as far as to asking me how to adjust the magnification on the microscopes for each observation. For this particular lab, we had to come back to the life sciences building a few times a week after lab days to make more observations. The assistant would then send me an email with the observations at the end of the week.