[nabs-l] writing and working out math and Chemistry problems

lily2011a at gmail.com lily2011a at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 21:24:38 UTC 2017

Hello,
I took general chemistry one last semester.  I would have one of my classmates take pictures with my iPhone of the examples that the professor wrote on the board. Sometimes my professor would print out the examples that he has worked out on the board.  I hired a reader that was proficient in chemistry and I would bring those examples to my reader. My reader would  then read the examples to me and help me work out the problems.  There's also a thing called math window. This is a board that has magnets with braille numbers and math symbols on them.  I believe it's $100.  Do you have an oVR counselor? If you do, oVR is supposed to help you pay the reader. My OVR counselor was not willing to purchase the math window for me.  So I created my own by purchasing magnetic braille letters and numbers online and using A small white board from an arts and craft store.  My reader help me create math symbols using puffy paint  on some plain magnets that I purchased at the store as well.
This was definitely less cumbersome than carrying a   Brailler around. I am not discouraging you from using the Brailer but this is just another option.  Usually there are graduate students or even undergraduate students looking for work in all the different departments. Perhaps, you could email the chair of the chemistry department and ask if he or she knows of any student looking for work. That's one way you could find a reader with knowledge of chemistry.  Same thing for all of your math classes.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me off list.
Good luck!
Liliya

Sent from my iPhone