[nabs-l] Independence training

Kayla Weathers kaylaweathers51590 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 19:20:26 UTC 2017

Hi Brianna, congratulations on your impending graduation! I’m from
Georgia as well and took time after my first semester of college to
attend Blindness Learning in New Dimensions (BLIND, INC.) the NFB
training center in Minneapolis, MN. I recently graduated from college
with my B.A. in English Literature and am in the process of applying
to graduate school. As far as the differences between state rehab
facilities versus NFB training centers are concerned, typically state
facilities do not have very high expectations for their students. At
NFB Centers students are taught by competent blind instructors who
have high expectations for them. During my training at BLIND, INC. I
learned to make many dishes from scratch, travel all around the city,
increase my Braille reading speed, use power tools, and many other
tasks that helped me to gain so many skills and so much confidence in
myself. If you have any other questions or just want to talk about
training, feel free to contact me off list. Best of luck with your
endeavors!
Kayla

--
Kayla Weathers.