[nabs-l] SHARE WIDELY: National Federation of the Blind Is Seeking to Support DREAMers

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 23:06:46 UTC 2017

Dear all,

This post has been gnawing at me for over a week. Maybe someone can help me
understand our rationale in getting involved in an issue that is clearly
partisan.

My understanding is that the NFB seeks to enable all blind individuals to
live the life they want, irrespective of immigration status. No argument
here. I appreciate the work we do to provide equal opportunities for
everyone--regardless of their legal status, which ought not to be any of our
business anyway, and regardless of their membership in our organization.

But now we're talking about devoting already limited resources to better
inform policymakers about the administration's decision to rescind the DACA
program. I don't understand how this became a priority.

Why are we suddenly interested in providing assistance to beneficiaries of
the DACA program? If we are doing our work correctly, then one could argue
the affected blind beneficiaries are already being served.

Why would we collect statistical analyses on the unemployment rate of the
blind before and after the DACA program when we barely have a handle on the
unemployment rate among the majority of blind Americans? If the general
statistics are accurate, then the unemployment rate among the blind is
somewhere in the neighborhood of 75%. I don't understand why our limited
resources would not be devoted to solving for the employment needs of all
blind Americans as opposed to the needs of the few. The fact we are largely
excluded from the vast majority of minimum wage jobs accessible to the rest
of the population should be of greater concern than the consequences of a
program that was legally and constitutionally controversial to start.

The DACA program is not likely to result in mass deportations and other grim
predictions forecasted by one side of the highly polarizing issue. The point
is part of a larger debate on immigration reform. Congress should enact
legislation the way it should have done when the legislative measure was
originally proposed under President Bush in 2007, and to be fair, a
bipartisan effort is underway to provide at least a three-year reprieve to
the affected community. Given the convoluted and hotly contested nature of
the overarching dialogue on the matter, why would the NFB spend its limited
political capital appearing to take sides on this issue?

Looking through this year's resolutions, I see no mention of devoting
resources to beneficiaries of the DACA program. How do we go about deciding
outreach efforts in situations where our mission was not directed by the
objectives agreed to by our convention?

To me, the step feels like an opportunistic means of snagging attention on
an issue that is already steeped in controversy. We are already fighting an
uphill battle on employment equality for those individuals working in
sheltered environments. We already face educational and employment
disparities among highly qualified blind permanent residents and citizens,
born and naturalized.

But, perhaps I am missing something. I'm willing to be educated. As a
naturalized citizen, I understand the benefits of something like DACA to get
ahead in this country. For that, there are other immigration rights consumer
groups. We can trust them to take up the cry for fair treatment. We can
trust them to help undocumented individuals find and keep a place in our
society. I would like to think we place our trust in the NFB to make that
society more accessible.

Sincerely,

Joe