[NABS-L] Purpose of the NABS Email List in the 21st Century?

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Tue Aug 7 03:07:55 UTC 2018

I feel like this question has been asked already, but it's worth
repeating: what is the purpose of this thread? is this musings of a
member, or are there discussions about this list in terms of leadership?

It's worth note that there are social media platforms, but not all of
them are viable for conveying your thoughts, ideas and questions.
Twitter limits you generally to 280 characters unless you want to
long-tweet your novel which is doable but harder to read, threads are
generally harder to follow, etc. This also requires that there be a
network of all blind students following each other, and they might
clutter your timeline with other garbage that you dont' wish to see. So
the tl/dr version of this is simply that Twitter is not viable for heavy
discussion, searching and following individual threads without some work.

Facebook lends itself to these kinds of discussions, but it's harder for
people to follow--groups and group posts can get hidden, for some of us
it's harder to filter--I have all nabs stuff going into a separate
folder that I can look through when I want, for example and it's
slightly less anonymous. That last bit is important to me because my
email isn't going to mean that a thread response has everyone and their
mother dog and cat adding me to Facebook simply because we have the
mutual characteristic of having defective eyeballs and friends in common.

I think the fact that this thread has gotten so much response in a short
amount of time is a great indicator of the fact that this list is still
alive and kicking. It's still a great way to send information back and
forth, and in the months when most people are in classes (note that this
is summer) there is much more activity generally. It's also worth note
that most people have their own platform of choice: voice messaging
systems, smoke signals, owl, Facebook, Twitter, and trying to branch out
across all of them and bring students together is going to make the task
of being able to help each other all the more daunting.

Thanks,
Ty