[NABS-L] Purpose of the NABS Email List in the 21st Century?

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 03:31:34 UTC 2018

Dear all,

This is a great topic of discussion. As has been pointed out several
times, this thread is still highly relevant. I want to point out that
additionally, from a marketing standpoint, and I use that term
loosely, NABS caters to not just students. We are a proud division of
the National Federation of the Blind, which encompasses a vast
audience that includes people of all ages and situations in life. I
did not have a Facebook until 2015, nor a Twitter until 2017. I still
primarily use email because it's a great way to communicate in an
organized manner. I don't have time to read a million tweets per day.
Also, I'm sure there are some significantly less young folks out there
who would prefer to use email rather than Facebook or Twitter. And to
be honest, I don't check Facebook groups that often myself. As issues
in blindness education are being increasingly highlighted, I think
it's important to start reaching out to younger audiences and like
someone said earlier, parents often prefer to have a little more
filtering, which is slightly more possible with email.

Matt suggested that a board member or someone on the outreach team
could possibly post the content of email list discussions on Facebook
and/or Twitter each day. While I think that could be a good idea, I
would suggest posting discussion threads that just include the topics
of discussion, rather than all the emails. That could get really
tedious. There are people on social media who may not be on email so
much, and they could definitely have some thoughts to contribute.

Thank you all for a lively discussion. I want to reiterate the
importance of email in all aspects of life. I receive about a hundred
emails per day, including my Stanford inbox, and I write electronic
correspondence for school, work, personal stuff, advocacy, and the
list goes on and on. The NABS list is just as important to me as any
of the other correspondence I read and write. Long live the NABS
listserv! :)

Best,
Cricket X. Bidleman (she/her/hers)
Stanford University | Class of 2021