[NABS-L] Purpose of the NABS Email List in the 21st Century?

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 7 04:47:37 UTC 2018

Hello All,

I have been a member of the outreach committee for the past year, and I plan to remain a member of the outreach committee for the upcoming year as well.  I have noticed specific goals, discussions, and leadership positions for other forms of social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, NABS website, monthly blog posts, monthly membership calls, and the new YouTube channel and podcast series. However, there no longer appears to be any specific goals, discussions, or leadership positions for the NABS email list within the outreach committee.

As a NABS member who has been around for a while, I remember a time when the NABS email list was alive with meaningful discussions between the general membership and current and former members of the NABS board. However, over the past couple of years the NABS email list appears to be limited mostly to the NABS Monthly Notes, event announcements, candidate endorsements before national convention, and technical questions.

It was mentioned during the outreach committee meeting that there was something posted to Twitter after the membership conference call last week. And after the membership conference call on travel a couple of months ago, it was mentioned that there was going to be some follow-up discussion on the new Facebook group. However, there was no message sent out to the NABS email list after the membership conference call last week.  Nor was there any follow-up discussion posted on the NABS email list after the membership conference call on travel from a couple of months ago.

So given the fact that the outreach committee appears to be focusing on other social media platforms, and the discussion on the NABS email list has been dwindling over the past couple of years, I was simply curious if the NABS email list is still important to the general membership. And if so, what role it plays in terms of general members remaining connected to the organization. And what type of content is best suited for an email list rather than or in addition to other forms of social media platforms.

I am an older non-traditional college student who generally does not use social media much beyond email lists. So I was simply curious about how other students who are younger than me and use social media more than me feel about the importance and relevance of the NABS email list. If the NABS email list is still important and relevant to the general membership, then perhaps it should still be important and relevant to the NABS leadership as well.

Thank you for everyone who has contributed to this discussion. I find all of the responses to be rather helpful in understanding how general members stay connected to the National Association of Blind Students.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth