[NABS-L] tips for taking statistics course

Justin Heard braillemasterjustin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:10:32 UTC 2019

Hi there.
I just Took statistics last semester with a professor who used MyStatLab. Here are my thoughts.
1. The program is useable but not accessible. Some graphs are described, others aren’t. If you got together with a statistics tutor from the school that could also read and help you with graphing, you could do it. It would be difficult though.
2. Drop the course. Honestly, if you’re just now asking these questions, you haven’t planned far enough ahead. You need more time to work with your professor and disability services to get the best grade possible. Here’s what I did.
I spoke with disability services and the professor as soon as I registered for the class. The professor sent us all of the PowerPoints he was using and we had them Braille’s.  We also sent the textbook off to be Braille’s. I started the course by telling my professor I would try MyStatLab and see how accessible it was, but I may need him to assign problems from the textbook. He agreed. I ended up only working out of the book after my frustration. I also took different tests than everyone else. He wrote some problems and gave me others from the book. I also went by his office hours to have concepts explained that I didn’t understand in class. I used a combination of Excel and online statistics calculators to solve problems. I wanted an Orion TI84, but VR never came through with that. I got an A in the course.
I’m not saying that exactly what  I did will work the same way for you. I’m not sure if you’re a Braille reader. But in classes where the online program doesn’t work, especially math, a hard copy text is the next best thing. Having the graphs and numbers from the PowerPoints in a format you can read is vital for understanding the material in class and is equal access. Unless you’re in your last semester, I am sure the college will work with you so you can take the course later.

Sent from my iPhone