[NABS-L] Starting College, I'm Scared!

Ahbee Orton ahbeeorton at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 2 15:11:55 UTC 2020

Hi Alisha,

Although, I'll be a second semester freshmen, I would like to help you out. Get involved in different groups if you can. You will make friends in the clubs, societies, and/or other gatherings, but of course, you'll need to follow whatever health guidance the college will have. It is helpful to participate in the student activities that the college comes up with since many people will go to those events. Try not to be shy, which is sometimes harder for me, but it's worth getting out of your shell and doing it. Sometimes, as blind people, we must be the first ones to approach people, so I would suggest sometimes starting the conversations. Depending on the people and the circumstances, you might be able to ask for people's phone numbers so that if you need something or would just like to hang out with some new friends, you'll be able to more likely reach them. One other thing. Make sure to study and to have some time to relax/have fun. It can be difficult to balance, but you can do it!
I hope that helps,
Ahbee Orton

Vice President, AABS
“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV