[NABS-L] Dance/theatre class in college

Sandra Gayer sandragayer7 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:38:37 UTC 2022

Hello Mikayla,
I hope other people have answered you off list at least. I took a
ballet course last year, run by a blind teacher. Run an Internet
search for Dark Room Ballet or Darkroom Ballet. (I can't remember if
the dark room is two words or one).

Without knowing the teaching style, it's hard to suggest accomodations
apart from the obvious like describing the movements with words whilst
carrying out actions. I am a singer but I have been in productions
where movement is required. Choreographers have always been extremely
helpful, either adapting movements to accomodate what I can and can't
do and showing me how, when and where to do things. Also, take into
account, your own learning style. Do you learn movements best by
listening or do you get more from a touch based approach. I only get
some much by listening and I need to feel the person's arms, legs and
so on, to grasp the style of movement, rather than just what is being
done. There are so mamy ways someone can lift their arm, for example.
Not just speed but smooth, fluid, spiky etc. That would be all just
noise to me but feeling the person move would make it all click.

Sorry this is so long.
Best of luck with your course.
Very best wishes,
Sandra.