[NABS-L] Dance/theatre class in college

Manahil Jafri manahiljafri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 03:22:05 UTC 2022

Hi Sandra,

I love that you ask this! I grew up taking dance corses and as my vision continued to deteriorate, I had to figure out different ways to adapt. I found that for classes where there was singular synchronized movement, the best way was if I had a TA be with me in class to help me go over the combinations. If the class was dance terminology heavy, I would have the TA go over all the movement correlating to the words and then be able to follow along in class as I knew what the Professor meant when she called out the terms. For partner work dances or classes, I would do a similar approach in having a TA to be my partner and we would work together to get all the movement down.

I have taken classes in ballroom, ballet, modern, and classical, and have done huge dance numbers in my HS musicals and have just joined a dance team at my school, so if you have any questions, please reach out!!

Best
Manahil
-
Manahil Jafri
She/hers/her
Membership Co-Chair | National Association of Blind Students
Secretary and Treasurer | New York Association of Blind Students