[NABS-L] Disability Office Problems

Selene Monjaraz slnmonjaraz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 02:03:10 UTC 2024

Hello,
I’m so sorry you’re going through this. This was actually a huge problem
for me last year. My disability office was really understanding about my
disability, but they didn’t quite know how to help me. Honestly, I felt
like they were leaning into the whole, “you need to be independent,” thing
a bit too hard. There’s a fine line between independence and support.
The most obvious thing is to show/tell them exactly what you need and how
to do it. That should not be our job as first year students because it adds
pressure on top of classes but it’s an unfortunate reality. If you’re not
sure how those accommodations are usually Done for you, I would talk to
students and staff at other universities about how they do things. I’m
studying elsewhere, but my home college has some really good disability
resources. I’ve never even heard of before and actually changed how I take
notes and do conversions.
First thing like someone else said go to your disability office and maybe
meet with them about how they can get you those accommodations. If they
remain unresponsive, I would talk to your professors and maybe even reach
out to your affiliate but hopefully you won’t have to go that far. Yes, you
can talk to your professors about them making things accessible as well but
you’re right that the disabilities office it’s literally their job to
accommodate you so do give them a bit of grace with the transition, but
don’t let them slide.
Best of luck,

Selene Monjaraz