[NABS-L] finding vollunteer opportunities

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Feb 19 02:47:00 UTC 2024

	hello Andrew.  It can be difficult to find one's place as a blind person in society.
Instead of just banging your head against the proverbial closed doors of churches, nursing
homes and the like, I suggest sitting down with yourself and thinking about what it is that you
like to do and what it is you're good at.  And, while you're at it, think about how you
contribute to your family life today.  Then, when you have a list, you can begin to think about
how to take some of the items on that list and do them outside of family life.
	It's worth noting that most volunteers, whether blind or sighted, don't get their
volunteer jobs by coming in the front door of where ever it is they volunteer and asking for a
volunteer job.  Instead, they do one of two things.  Of course, there are exceptions, but I
think these two cases cover a majority of folks who volunteer.  The first way is for them to
decide they want to be part of a particular group or organization.  So, they join it as a
member, or, they make sure they are present when the group meets.  As they participate in the
activities of the group, they observe how it works and who does what and, this is important,
watch for opportunities where they might be able to lend a hand.  When they see such an
opportunity, they step in and do the thing that needs doing.  The second thing many people do
is a variation on the first.  That is, instead of deciding what group or organization they're
going to be a part of, they decide they want to do a particular thing.  Then, having decided on
the thing they want to do, they begin searching for groups and organizations that do that thing
and join them, thus leading them back to the task of joining the group and figuring out where
their talents can be helpful in furthering the cause of the group as a whole.
	This process is made somewhat more complicated as a blind person because not only does the
blind person have to fit into the group they want to join, but they have to convince the group
that their talents and skills will help the group thrive.  Just talking about one's skils as a
blind person won't cut it; the blind person must demonstrate those skills, sometimes over and
over again, to convince their peers they really can do the thing they say they can.
	I have done this many times over the years, most times with great success, but sometimes with
a result that is a complete failure or is not satisfactory.  The most important thing I've
learned through these experiences is that I will never succeed if I make my blindness my
colleagues' problem.  That is to say, if I'm volunteering for an organization, performing a
job, or otherwise engaging in  a civic activity, I cannot ask those I work with to solve the
problems I encounter due to blindness.  That isn't to say I can't ask for help, but it means I
need to know what to ask for and to be specific about what I ask for, rather than asking open
ended questions of them like: how do you think I might be able to do this job?  They don't
know, and if I ask that question, they will become overwhelmed, feel bad and shut down, thus
removing my opportunity to work with them.  Instead, I could ask something like: explain to me
what  you are doing and how you do it?  Then, I can take that information and
translate it into a process I can follow.

	I notice you're asking how to find volunteer positions, but you haven't told us what you
want to do and what you're good at or what you enjoy doing.  In other words, what do you bring
to the party when you volunteer?  If you tell us that, we might be able to offer more ideas on
how to get involved with some organization.

	Good luck with this process and I hope these insights are helpful.  And, when you land
that volunteer job, tell us about it!

Sincerely,

-Brian