[NABS-L] finding vollunteer opportunities

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Mon Feb 19 04:05:59 UTC 2024

	hello Andrew.  Okay, so you like animals.  I'll use that as an example.  Perhaps there is
an animal shelter near to you.  Most animal shelters that I'm aware of have a great need for
volunteers.  Now, I know you said they say they don't take blind volunteers, but maybe if you
go in there and you say something like, I'd really like to help out.  Maybe I could help clean
the aquariums, or take out the garbage, or answer the phones and help field calls.  Maybe that
shelter has a community day where the community is invited to come and visit the shelter and
learn about it. You could go and talk with the folks who work there and find out what they do
and, maybe, how they do it. Then, you can think about the jobs you learn about and decide on
one that you think you could do.  Then, you could go back to that shelter and tell them you'd
like to help with that specific job.  It needs to be a simple thing, at least in the beginning,
so they can get to know you and to know how you work.  If they say no, then you might ask if
they have a related job that needs doing.  If they still say no, you might ask if they know of
any other animal care facilities that you might talk with.  The point I'm trying to make here is
that persistence  and creativity is key here.  If you ask enough people in enough ways the same
question, eventually, you get the answer you want.  It is possible to be polite and persistent
at the same time.

	I'm not sure what to tell you about your dark feelings except encourage you to find a
counsellor who can help you work through them.  I know that can be very difficult, but I think
it is very important you work on that aspect of yourself, first.  I'm not a resident of Canada,
so can't really speak to what professional assistance might be available.

Hope that helps.
-Brian