[NABS-L] Seeking Feedback on Draft Resolution about Changing the Name of a School for the Blind

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri May 31 02:37:41 UTC 2024

Hi Kim,

You may be relieved to know that Mr. Perkins did not participate in any of the technological inventions. They were developed and produced in ways that related to the school, but he did not have any direct role in inventing those things. They bear his name because the school bears his name.

Also, the name of the organization today is the "Perkins School for the Blind." I looked up their tax records, and they file taxes under that name now. I don't know when they switched from the 1839 name, but maybe your feedback tells me that I should add something to that Whereas clause to help people understand that the name has evolved since then but has continued to bear his name since 1839.

Aloha,

Justin

Justin MH Salisbury, MEd, NOMC, NCRTB
English Pronouns: he/him/his