[nagdu] winter coats

Laurie Mehta lauriemehta at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 4 22:18:12 UTC 2008

Hi Julie,
Does the handle for your harness detach?
I thought that the harness I saw displayed this past July had a detachable handle, anyhow.  (Fine work, btw!)

If the handle comes off, why not sew a lined poncho-style coat that has holes in the top to thread the harness handle through?  If you have access to a GDB dog-raincoat, you could copy that for a pattern, just modifying it to add handle holes.  That raincoat is the velcro-fastened poncho type that would be ideal for what you want.

Or, you could buy a large sized GDB raincoat, if they are still sold-- I bought my most recent one in 2001, and you could sew a lining into it.  I will say, though, that the raincoat itself is a great wind breaker.

Maybe Michael knows the status of GDB raincoats these days?  /smile/

When I bought one, they came in neon green/yellow, or in crimson.  I got the bright colored one for added walking safety on those gloomy days.

Good luck, and if you work this project out, I hope that you'll start offering it among the other things you sell.  I know that a lot of programs are using harnesses with detachable handles nowadays and a coat like you're talking about would be a hit with lots of handlers, imho.

-Laurie