[nagdu] Up date on Wanagi"s training and Welcome

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 23:18:05 UTC 2008

Hi every one,  Wanagi has resumed her training,and I finally have my
wheelchair back.  I have taken her to the Grocery store many times now and
she has done very well. Nick and I took her to the Fire Fighters Chili cook
off last Friday and there were several pet dogs and one other service dog
there, as well as a large crowd of people. She did well navigating the
crowds. Some of the pet dogs acted out,but Wanagi just ignored them. We are
still working on bus lifts as she is still not so good on them. Up until now
she has been leash leading me and I have been using my cane when needed.She
is ready for training with the harness now.I have not had to use my cane
when working her the last 3 times we were out working. She still has a lot
to learn but I am pleased at her progress,considering that her training was
interupted several times. She did not forget any of her lessons.She really
wants to please me and she loves it when I tell her what a good girl she is.
She wags her tail a mile a minute as Nick says. He says that she looks up at
me every time she stops at a driveway or curb cut as if to say, "did I do
good mom?did I do good?" I just love this dog! And to think ,I found her at
the Pound.Who ever lost her and did not claim her,lost a wonderful dog, But
I can't feel too sorry for them.  Tokala is doing well at guiding me around
the house and yard and takes me to the mail box every day. We went to a
meeting at the coumunity center around the corner form my house yesterday
and she did very well. She is getting better about loud noises now. Even
though I don"t really need a guide around the house, she is happy that she
has a job to do and she has not misbehaved since I started working with her.
I modified one of Nala's old harnesses to fit her. She is so small,barely 20
inches at the shoulder............Welcome Bunny, What breed is Lady? What
breed of dog are you looking for? Or does breed matter to you? If you
google  craig's list in your area, and click on pets,you might be able to
find a dog that way. Unfortunately, a lot of people are trying to find homes
for their dogs because of the aconomy and other reasons. If you have a
shelter in your area, you might check that out.Google, dog rescue groups and
see what you come up with. I found my current Tranee at a shelter. She is a
Husky/Shepherd mix and is working out very well. All my guide dogs have been
Siberian Huskies ecept Wanagi.She is all white and has blue eyes.  Good luck
in looking for a dog to train. Have a great day, Mardi and
Nala,retired,Wanagi,gdit,and Tokala,gdit.