[nagdu] Maxx's problem

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 15 11:35:30 UTC 2008

Okay,  here is maxx's problem.

Maxx is from Guide Dog Foundation of Smithtown here in Long Island.

Maxx had been gaining with for the last year, he had been tested at my vet
in June prior to convention for a thyroid issue, that was ruled out, took
him to GDF, he was  put on Iams weight management, took him in october for
his annual visit to my vet, he was concerned again with his weight gain, he
gained 6 lbs since june, I work him, he is happy, not sick, just good dog
and worker, just a little heavy.

My vet again was concerned and was thinking about checking his thyroid again
or maybe doing other tests, I said I will take him to the school since the
tests at the vet is very expensive and if there is an issue the school could
do the tests.

So I took him this past Monday to GDF no tests were performed a booster shot
for lymes was given, and I was told it is possible a slow metabolism, okay
took there word for it, and they put maxx on Hills RD which is a
Prescription Dog food not over the counter, was given a  few bags of food
until the new shipment came in and I would be given a full bag of food.

I had asked the following day since I forgot to ask when I was there, if I
should wean maxx off slowing with the new food, I was told no.  Well guess
what, yup you guessed it, Maxx has been throwing up, once at work and twice
at home, mind you that is why I am up at the crack of dawn on a saturday.

try and get in touch with anyone at the guide dog school on a saturday.

concerned.  Anyone gone through with this and any recommendations.

and mind you after my experiences with GDF, I am definitely not getting my
next dog from them. Unless they get there act together.

I love my Maxx, I hate not knowing what to do.

Cheryl Echevarria
Treasurer
National Federation of the Blind Greater Long Island Chapter.